Protect your assets and provide support and financial stability for your surviving relatives by hiring an experienced estate planning attorney to develop a plan for your specific situation in Denver. Our Estate Planning Law Firm will help you establish a will, trust and power of attorney to ensure your family is taken care of after your passing. We have offices in Denver and in Dillon (serving the mountain communities in Summit and Eagle Counties).
Who Needs Estate Planning
Contrary to popular belief, estate planning is not only for the wealthy. Everyone can benefit from having a comprehensive estate plan that will ensure a smooth transition of assets from them to their beneficiaries when the time comes.
Whether you own properties, several businesses, or company shares, a well-established estate plan can make the distribution process less costly and time-consuming. It will also give you more control over the passing of your assets, instead of letting the state dictate everything.
The guidance of an estate attorney who is well-versed in Denver law can help you navigate the legal matters and iron out the details of your plan.
Estate Planning During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Fear of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, has prompted many people to update their existing estate planning documents or write new wills and make other critical estate planning decisions. Lewis & Matthews offers clients a virtual estate planning consultation to discuss their estate planning needs. When we are ready to sign the documents, we will schedule an appointment in our office to execute and notarize the documents. We follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines to ensure that you have a safe experience. The basic estate planning documents that clients typically want to review are a Last Will and Testament; a Durable Power of Attorney to address financial matters; a health care power of attorney; and a living will to allow a specified individual to make health care decisions for the client if they are incapacitated. We will make sure that your estate plan is tailored to your specific needs.
Estate Planning with Lewis & Matthews P.C.
Since our law firm specializes in both estate planning and family law, we can better customize your plan to suit your specific instructions. Our years of experience with Colorado state law will also offer several benefits in making sure your documents are correctly worded and the process is streamlined.
Our estate planning services usually include the following:
What Is in an Estate Plan?
A comprehensive estate plan includes several legal documents that detail everything from end-of-life care to the distribution of assets upon death. With our advice and guidance, you will get more clarity about these documents and how they will take effect when the time comes.
● Last Will and Testament – This legal document dictates how the estate of a person will be distributed when they pass away. It includes a list of the assets as well as the beneficiaries set to receive them.
● Living Trust – Like a will, a living trust also details the distribution of the estate to beneficiaries. The assets are transferred to a trust while the grantor is still alive.Its main advantage is that the process will no longer involve the probate court, which can be both costly and time-consuming.
● Living Will – In Colorado, a living will is also called the ‘declaration of medical treatment.’ It details a person’s preferences for end-of-life care. It will take effect when a person is no longer physically and mentally able to convey their wishes.
● Powers of Attorney – A power of attorney is given to a trusted confidant for emergency situations where difficult choices have to be made about your health or finances. This spares your loved ones from unnecessary stress.
● Asset Protection – This is a collection of strategies that legally protect your assets from taxation, seizure, and other losses. Although this is mainly a part of financial planning, it is also an excellent addition to your estate plan.
Apart from having a good estate plan, it is also important to keep it updated. There may be changes to your situation, preferences, and your assets that may not be reflected in previous plans. Talk to your estate attorney in Denver to keep your plan up to date.
Hear from our clients!
Meet the Team
Find out more about the people that make Lewis & Matthews, P.C. a success.
Jennifer Lewis – Managing partner Jennifer Lewis has helped countless people with family law, criminal law, estate planning and probate proceedings, personal injury and medical malpractice claims, zoning and land use planning, and general civil litigation.
Ms. Lewis received her license in 1988. Since then, she has practiced law in both federal and state courts in Missouri, Kansas, and Colorado.
Ms. Lewis believes in a practical, but patient and compassionate approach to helping clients navigate the often-difficult challenges they face concerning family law matters.
Jackie Flanagan – As an office manager, Ms. Flanagan has been managing the day-to-day tasks required to run the firm smoothly for the last five years. Her unique insights as a long-term resident of Colorado have also been a valuable resource for the firm.
Counties We Serve
To ensure that your estate plan is comprehensive and that your wishes will be respected, work with Lewis & Matthews P.C. Our Denver estate planning lawyers will help you every step of the way. Here are the counties we serve:
Address: 1325 S Colorado Blvd, Suite 503, Denver, CO 80222
Address: 114 Village Place, Suite 206, Dillon, CO 80435
Phone Number: (970) 468-0240